Hello Readers 🙂 I’m really excited to tell you that I’ve been asked to be one of RSPCA’s Online Ambassadors for their Cupcake Day this year ~ I’ve always wanted to participate in Cupcake Day, but it makes it even more meaningful now that I have a dog and his name is conveniently Cupcake! It’s pretty simple I was basically I was asked to make a cupcake and share there recipe to help them promote their event.
For those who aren’t familiar with Cupcake Day you can read more about it here, but to give you an overview, on the 18th of August you can get together with some family, friends or colleagues and organise your own Cupcake Day event. Make some cupcake sell them for how much you would like to, and donate the money paid for the Cupcakes.
I’ve made a couple of cupcakes and looking forward to sharing them with you guys ~ The first one is this Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcake. I was going through all my books, blogs, websites looking for a cupcake recipe I wanted try. Eventually, I decided to ask my pregnant sister to see if she had any cravings and she said ‘marshmallows!’ So that’s when I made these Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow frosting.
These cupcakes are relatively easy to make, the only tricky part would be the marshmallow frosting which requires a sugar thermometer but if you follow Not Quite Nigella’s recipe like I did, it shouldn’t be too hard 😉
Before I give you a recipe, there’s a little surprise in the cupcakes, I not only decided to make marshmallow frosting, I decided to put a marshmallow inside the cupcakes too! It gave it a little more texture and flavour. My sister lives in Hong Kong so
Make sure you put the marshmallow in while the cupcake is still warm so it will melt slightly! Mr Bao, some friends and colleagues have done the taste test and they give me the thumbs up. I hope you’ve convinced you to make these cupcakes and perhaps have your own little Cupcake Day even on the 18th of August with some friends and family to raise some money to help those animal in need ~
Recipe – Chocolate Cupcake with Marshmallow frosting from Hummingbird Bakery and Not Quite Nigella
Yields – 10 Cupcakes
100g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
120ml whole milk
1/4tsp vanilla extra/paste
Marshmallow frosting – From Not Quite Nigella
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup cold water
4 egg whites (about 120g)
A pinch of cream of tartar
1) Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F).
2) Put te flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter into an electric mixer with the paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on slow speed until it reaches a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
3) Gradually pour in half of the milk (120ml) and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
4) Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk (120ml) together in a separate jug for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a spatula). Continue mixing for a couple of minutes until the mixture is smooth. Be careful do not over mix.
5) Spoon mixture into cupcake until it is about 1/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes, test by using toothpick if it is clear it is cooked.
6) Once cooked remove from oven and let them sit for 5 minutes, then carefully using a spoon scoop a little whole in the cupcake and place a marshmallow inside, and cover with remaining cake to make it smooth for piping.
1) Place egg whites and cream of tartar into bowl of an electric mixture with the whisk attachment.
2) Place sugar and water into small saucepan without string and make a syrup, cooking until 114C/238F use a sugar thermometer to check precise temperature.
3) When sugar syrup nearly reaches temperature, whisk the eggs on the highest setting until you get soft peaks. Once sugar syrup reaches 114C, with the whisk still on, slowly add to egg whites and continue whisking until thick and stiff.
When cupcakes are cool, you can now pipe the marshmallow icing on top 🙂
Happy Baking everyone!